report problem

report problem
home
history
report problem

 
report problem
report problem
 

The Story of the Apple Blossom Festival
      11th Annual Apple Blossom Festival Program
              May 8th, 1933

Payetteís Apple Blossom Festival will celebrate its 11th birthday on May 8th this year. It was back in the year of 1923 that the first Apple Blossom Festival was held in Payette, and the origin of its sponsorship was the Womenís Portia Club of Payette.

Mrs. F. H. Hogue, then President of the Portia Club, was confronted with the problem of Club finances; to defray the club expenses of the coming convention of the Womenís State Federation to be held in Payette, "and to that cause," the Apple Blossom Festival was born.

For the nine years following to 1930, the Portia Club continued the directing activities of the festival, each year improving its festivities, and attracting greater attendance from outside communities; and has today brought it up to one of the outstanding May features in the State of Idaho.

The Festival has received state wide publicity and have made arrangements to take care of the greatest crowd in the history of the Festival.

In 1931, the Portia Club, as an organization ceased further activity in the festival and a citizenís committee was appointed, headed by John McMillan, to carry on where the ladies of the Portia Club had left off.

In 1932, Earl M. Dean, was named President of the Blossom Festival Committee, and was re-elected to act in the same capacity for this years festival. Through his untiring efforts and those of his committee, this years Festival is looked upon as the greatest event in Payette history, with an expected attendance of approximately 10,000.

With its increased success and popularity, Payette realized the prominent part the outside communities have played in the giving of their time and co-operation, for which the Blossom Festival committee and the citizens of Payette are very grateful and sincerely hope that this friendly, cooperative and neighborly spirit will continue to prevail throughout.


 
report problem

report problem  Back to History   report problem  History of Club
 From November 1927
 

report problem